Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn, New York City

Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn, New York City

Green-Wood Cemetery, established in 1838, was originally a rural cemetery. It was called a rural cemetery since it was built miles from the main part of Brooklyn at the time. These cemeteries were built further from residential areas over health concerns and due to overcrowding at older cemeteries within Brooklyn and other parts of New York City. In 1997 the cemetery was listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. Later on, in 2006, it also became a national historic landmark. The gates and other buildings on the land are also preserved as landmarks in the city. The cemetery has around 600,000 graves and is still active as a cemetery.

Inside the Fort Hamilton Gate Entrance to Green-Wood Cemetery


Tour of the crypts and catacombs

More Information and History about the cemetery:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Katelyn Nicole Davis ♥ Forever Missed